Testosterone is primarily a male reproductive hormone that regulates sperm production and sex drive in men. It also plays a vital role in building muscle mass and strength. Testosterone also impacts bone density and fat distribution in men. Women also need testosterone in small quantities. Testosterone is produced naturally in both men and women, according to their needs.
Decreasing levels of testosterone is a natural part of aging. But we all want to turn the clock and attempt to regain our looks and strength. Finding natural ways to raise testosterone levels and using testosterone supplements to boost testosterone production can help prevent and even reverse many of the undesirable consequences of low testosterone levels.
Why Use Testosterone Supplements?
Testosterone production starts only when a boy reaches puberty and his testosterone levels peak by the age of 18 to 19 years. Testosterone levels in men tend to stay elevated in their 20s though, after the age of 30, it starts to decrease significantly. This often leads to low libido and a decrease in energy levels. Obesity and depression can occur. Despite intensive workout sessions, men in their 40s (and above) may find it difficult to build muscle mass and strength. The drop in testosterone levels can cause notable physical and emotional changes in men. More than 40% of men aged 45 and above tend to have clinically low testosterone levels.
The market is flooded with various supplements that claim to boost your testosterone levels. But practice caution while choosing a testosterone supplement as many of them may contain illegal and harmful substances such as steroids. There are ‘legal’ steroids available in the market, which are formulas that combine various herbs, vitamins, and minerals, to offer you benefits similar to that of taking steroids.
Deficiency of vitamins such as vitamin D and minerals such as magnesium can negatively impact testosterone production. Many traditionally used Indian and Chinese herbs such as Tribulus Terrestris and Tongkat Ali have been found to enhance testosterone production. So combining such vitamins, minerals and herbs may have a positive influence on testosterone levels.
Low testosterone levels are associated with older men (above 50), but even in their 20s, sedentary lifestyles, obesity, or lack of proper nutrition can cause low testosterone levels in men. Though younger men in their early 20s should concentrate on lifestyle changes for optimizing their testosterone production, others will benefit more from adding a testosterone supplement to their diet. This helps boost libido, increase energy levels and endurance, as well as, build more muscle mass and strength. What more reason do you need to buy a testosterone supplement?
How to Test Testosterone Levels
The simplest way of checking your testosterone levels is by taking a blood test. A doctor can prescribe this simple blood test to put your concerns about low testosterone levels at rest. The best time to give your blood sample is in the mornings when testosterone levels are at their peak as they tend to fluctuate during the daytime.
Once the results arrive, your doctor can decide if they are within normal limits or recommend a testosterone booster if they are not. The normal range in men over 40 is usually between 270-1070 ng/dL, with levels between 400-600 considered as healthy. If testosterone boosters are recommended, then a blood test after 3 months will reveal if the supplement is providing positive results.
The Top 6 Testosterone Supplements
Testosterone supplements by many reputed brands are available online. Each brand has its unique formulas with a combination of herbs and nutrients to provide maximum efficacy. Listed below are the top 6 supplements to compare and choose the one best suited to your needs.
TestRX is a natural dietary supplement designed for bodybuilders to increase their muscle growth, strength, and energy. With 100% natural ingredients and unique, proprietary formulation of natural herbs and essential vitamins, this supplement can boost testosterone levels naturally. TestRX contains Tribulus Terrestris, a plant whose roots and fruits have been used extensively in Ayurveda to increase sex drive in males and enhance overall energy. Another powerful herb used is TAlatus, known to effectively treat sexual problems, enlarged prostate, and infertility. Both ingredients combined create a potent effect in boosting testosterone levels effectively.
TestRX also includes other ingredients such as Tongkat Ali, Brassica Campestris, fenugreek, ashwagandha, Agaricus Bbisporus and vitamin D. Tongkat Ali commonly known as Malaysian ginseng, is known for its capacity to increase testosterone production in the body. Brassica Campestris another medicinal plant aids in suppressing prostate gland diseases.
A reduction in the body’s testosterone levels can lead to depression and to prevent this, TestRX has a generous addition of ashwagandha, a popular mood booster as part of its proprietary blend. This herb again part of staple ayurvedic medicine is primarily used to treat anxiety-induced stress, sleeplessness, depression, etc and can cause happier moods and increased energy. The ingredient Agaricus Bisporus also referred to as portobello mushrooms work to enhance the body’s immunity and promote overall well-being. Vitamin D popularly known as the sunshine vitamin adds to a sustained increase in testosterone levels in men.
- Multiple, 100% natural, herbal ingredients
- 120 capsules per bottle
- A powerful combo of Tribulus Terrestris and Tribulus Alatus for efficacy
- Addition of ashwagandha for relief from stress and mood swings
TestoGen is one of the top-ranking supplements in the testosterone range of boosters. Banked by a tested scientific formula, it helps boost testosterone levels naturally and safely. It improves a man’s strength and endurance power to give that extra edge he desires. TestoGen has a potent combination of natural herbs and added vitamins to reduce fat, elevate energy levels and increase focus for better performance.
The inclusion of natural herbs in TestoGen in addition to boosting testosterone levels also promotes strong immunity, happier moods, and strong bone health. TestoGen has a potent formulation of 11 natural ingredients with extracts of red ginseng, fenugreek, nettle leaf, Bioperine® from Black Pepper, minerals such as boron, magnesium, zinc, D-aspartic acid, and vitamins such as B6, K1, and D.
Erectile Dysfunction is a common occurrence in men with low vitamin D levels. Good vitamin D levels prevent testosterone conversion to estrogen. The vitamin D content in TestoGen helps controls calcium absorption levels for stronger bone health. D-Aspartic acid, an important amino acid part of this supplement plays an important role in elevating testosterone levels in the body which are visible within a short period of using TestoGen.
Another powerful addition, fenugreek extracts acts as a natural stimulant to increase men’s sex drive and performance. Fenugreek in combination with selenium, a mineral, can have a profound effect on increasing testosterone levels. Ginseng roots have been long used in traditional Chinese medicine for its aphrodisiac properties, to enhance testosterone levels and libido.
- Zero artificial flavors or colors
- Available as easy-to-swallow capsules
- 120 capsules per bottle
- Manufactured in FDA registered facility
TestoFuel is among the most powerful testosterone boosters available in the market, TestoFuel is popular with athletes and bodybuilders. Robby Robinson, renowned bodybuilder reported using TestoFuel daily to enhance his testosterone levels, energy, and libido, in his 70’s too.
Athletes and bodybuilders, unable to achieve desired results despite working out, will benefit from TestoFuel. Clinically researched TestoFuel has been found effective to build muscles and boost testosterone levels besides providing other beneficial nutrients for support. Combined with a healthy diet and regular workouts, it can aid in good muscle strength and lean muscles that bodybuilders desire.
TestoFuel works very well for men over 30 years, who are looking for a safe and effective testosterone booster to increase their energy levels. It contains oyster extract which contains excellent nutritive properties with omega 3 & 6 fish oils, taurine, an amino sulfonic acid, good levels of zinc and trace minerals, copper and manganese.
Zinc is of vital importance to ensure proper production of testosterone and support a healthy sperm count in men. TestoFuel’s natural formula contains significant quantities of zinc, fenugreek, ginseng, D-aspartic acid, vitamins D, B6 and K2 along with magnesium. It does not contain any artificial ingredients or additives. Since the company offers a refund if found unsatisfactory, a trial period of 90 days will help to notice changes or effects from using TestoFuel. A good testosterone booster is likely to show good results only after a minimum of 8-10 weeks. All it takes is healthy lifestyle changes and a bit of perseverance to get desired results.
- Research-backed, 100% natural ingredients
- Contains oyster extract with goodness of omega 3 & 6 fish oils
- No artificial ingredients or chemicals or additives
- 90-days money-back guarantee
Prime Male is one of the unique dietary supplements among the top-ranking testosterone boosters available in the market. American football star Andre Reed and Rocky III star, Dolph Lundgren swear by it testosterone boosting properties in a natural and safe manner.
Prime Male does not contain any proprietary blends and contains a potent combination of 12 vital nutrients. Prime Male works in a scientifically proven way to signal the body to release luteinizing hormone (LH). D-aspartic acid calcium chelate (D-AA-CC), a natural amino acid and zinc help do this effectively and the result is increased testosterone levels. Proven research on Korean red ginseng suggests that it can improve vitality, libido, and performance in men.
The nettle root extract and minerals such as boron, magnesium interact with SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin) molecules to release bound testosterone and make it more bio-available to the body. Boron and luteolin extract help to reduce estrogen levels to keep testosterone levels high. Another well-known addition, mucuna pruriens reduces prolactin levels to boost the presence of testosterone. Vitamin D, K2 and B6 work to synthesize and regulate testosterone levels while Bioperine® from black pepper aids faster absorption of the nutrients.
Prime Male provides energy and stamina during workouts helping you to build stronger, leaner muscles. It regulates sugar and blood pressure levels, promoting weight loss too. It works to uplift moods and libido for men in their 30’s and above. Prime Male is also covered by a 90-day money refund policy. So, if you need a natural option to feel young, healthy, and increased energy, then Prime Male with its natural content and no added synthetic ingredients, would be a wise choice.
- Combination of 12 well-researched ingredients
- Boosts testosterone in men for better energy, moods, and libido
- No synthetic ingredients
- 90-day money-back guarantee, if found unsatisfactory
Performance Lab SPORT T-Booster has carved a niche for itself among the top testosterone boosters in the market. Its unique formula combats cortisol the stress hormone, to elevate testosterone in your body. Natural ingredients such as Ashwagandha, Mucuna Pruriens, luteolin from orange extracts combined with D-aspartic acid calcium chelate make it a go-to supplement.
Numerous research has found Ashwagandha can battle and resist stress, which has a direct effect on cortisol. A reduction in cortisol levels elevates testosterone levels. Mucuna Pruriens’ active ingredient Levodopa (L-DOPA) initiates a series of reactions that lowers cortisol concentration to lower stress and boost testosterone levels. Luteolin, a flavonoid, inhibits the aromatase enzyme which converts testosterone to estrogen in men. By blocking the aromatase enzyme, luteolin promotes the maintenance of testosterone levels, especially in men over 30 years of age.
The most active component of SPORT T-Booster is D-Aspartic Acid Calcium Chelate (D-AA-CC). D-AA-CC is more bioavailable than just normal D-aspartic acid. It supports testosterone production by stimulating hormone synthesis, increased absorption, and lowering GI distress.
Performance Lab SPORT T-Booster optimizes testosterone production to promote good muscle growth, performance, vigor and virility in men in a safe, natural way. Performance Lab SPORT T-Booster is an excellent choice if one is looking for a natural, vegan-friendly testosterone boosting supplement, without any artificial ingredients, fillers or chemical additives.
- Contains D-aspartic acid in chelated form for better absorption
- Contains KSM-66® Ashwagandha, certified organic for stress-reduced cortisol control
- No artificial ingredients, fillers or additives
- 100% natural Plantcaps® from pullulan
Prime Labs Prime Test, a dietary supplement ranking among the top testosterone booster in the market, is designed to elevate testosterone levels in the body to increase greater muscle growth, energy, and performance. Made with a proprietary blend of natural ingredients such as horny goat weed, Tongkat Ali, saw palmetto, sarsaparilla root, orchic substance, nettle root extract, boron amino acid chelate along with added calcium carbonate, it helps men, especially over 30 years of age, to set right issues arising due to low testosterone levels and provide the physical strength, stamina and libido men desire.
Prime Test contains horny goat weed and Tongkat Ali both of which are backed by numerable studies. Tongkat Ali supports increased testosterone levels while horny goat weed using its active substance icariin aids with improvement in erectile dysfunction disorder. It also contains nettle root extract which has anti-inflammatory properties and boron which increases free testosterone concentration in the body. Apart from these ingredients it also contains saw palmetto extracts, sarsaparilla root extracts and orchic substance for increasing the potency of Prime Test.
Prime Labs manufactures Prime Test is an FDA registered facility in the USA. It uses 100% natural ingredients for proven efficacy. It does not contain any fillers or binders. So if you would like to try a natural supplement to boost testosterone but supported by a proprietary blend for a combination of benefits then Prime Test would be an ideal choice.
- 100% natural herbal extracts with boron in a proprietary blend with added calcium
- Boosts muscle growth, libido, and performance
- No fillers or binders
- Manufactured in FDA registered facility in the USA
- Proprietary blend does not reveal the concentration of ingredients
- Contains magnesium stearate
Health Benefits of Testosterone Boosters
Testosterone boosters can provide benefits in two different ways. One is the raised testosterone levels and the other is the benefits reaped by the presence of natural ingredients in the booster supplement.
Low testosterone levels in men can result in undesirable health issues such as low libido, erectile dysfunction (ED), a reduction in muscle growth and mass, bad moods, exhaustion, and depression. So, if other medical causes for such conditions are ruled out, then increasing testosterone levels in the body through a supplement might help solve these issues.
On a large scale, men who have used testosterone supplements report that these boosters do help in reducing body fat and increasing muscle growth effectively. They also acknowledged that they experienced better moods, confidence, and increased energy and stamina during workout training. With a sustained increase in testosterone levels, there was a marked improvement in their sex drive which was extremely important for them.
Most of the natural testosterone supplements contain at least one or more of certain plants or herbs in their formula. These plant-based ingredients provide various other benefits apart from boosting testosterone levels in the body. Given below are some of the most common ingredients one can find in testosterone boosters.
- Tribulus Terrestris – Research indicates that Tribulus Terrestris may lower blood sugar levels which can be of immense benefit for those diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Research indicates that it can also help control lipid levels and protect blood vessels from serious damage while strengthening overall immunity in our bodies.
- Fenugreek – Fenugreek has been known to help people with insulin sensitivity or diabetes with better, natural insulin function and carb tolerance. With its anti-inflammatory properties, it provides good relief from heartburn. Certain studies suggest that regular intake of fenugreek suppresses appetite with lower fatty foods to aid with weight loss.
- Horny Goat Weed – A staple ingredient found in traditional Chinese medicine used to treat conditions such as erectile dysfunction, osteoarthritis, bronchitis, heart disease, and high blood pressure. A natural blood thinner, it helps improve blood circulation. The phytoestrogens present sustain bone health to reduce disabling joint pains and promote bone health.
- Tongkat Ali – The roots of Malaysian ginseng or Tongkat Ali raises testosterone levels and can also help boost male fertility by enhancing sperm motility and production. It helps lower stress hormones that are a known cause for anxiety and improves mood and focus. Users who have used Tongkat Ali report that they are more calm and tension-free. The presence of Quassinoids compounds in this root is found to have a profound effect on improving endurance through means of reduced exhaustion.
- Ginseng – Ginseng, a root used traditionally in Chinese medicine possesses anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant properties. Studies indicate that ginseng may have a marked improvement on brain functions such as enhanced memory, intent focus, and better moods. Korean red ginseng is proven to be effective in treating erectile dysfunction (ED) in men. Ginseng can also support a stronger immune system for overall well-being.
- Nettle Leaf – Stinging nettle as it is commonly called, contains inflammation-reducing properties to provide relief in medical conditions such as arthritis. It is also used to successfully treat urination problems that can arise due to an enlarged prostate gland. Nettle leaf was also used traditionally to treat hypertension.
- Ashwagandha – A prevalent ingredient in traditional Ayurvedic medicine, this herb was known to be used in the treatment of high lipid and sugar levels to lower body fat and promote weight loss. It has an immense capability to regulate cortisol levels and reduce stress vital for good testosterone production. Ashwagandha, as studies suggest. helps in lowering anxiety and depression-related symptoms and relief from mental disorders.
- Maca Root – Maca, a renowned Peruvian root, is a potent testosterone booster. Apart from boosting testosterone levels, maca also influences to increase sperm concentration and motility widely enhancing fertility in men. Studies on maca establish that it can enhance brain functions such as better cognitive skills and sharp memory. Red maca can reduce the prostate size significantly owing to the high content of glucosinolates and thereby lower risks of prostate cancer.
5 Ways to Boost Testosterone Levels Naturally
Resorting to natural ways to boost testosterone in your body is a great way to save spending money on steroids. Healthy lifestyle changes specifically after 30 years can boost and maintain good testosterone levels naturally.
- Exercise frequently, three to five times weekly.
- Inadequate sleep can affect testosterone levels, so ensure you get enough sleep daily.
- Well-balanced, nutritious diets with the inclusion of foods such as eggs, oysters, fenugreek seeds and cutting down on sugar and fatty, unhealthy foods support an increase in testosterone levels naturally.
- Bridge nutritional gaps. Ensure you get enough vitamin D, magnesium and zinc to support testosterone production by the body.
- Aim to lower stress. Significant levels of stress can lower testosterone production resulting in lower sex drive and lead to erectile dysfunction. Supplements with Ashwagandha can help reduce stress.
- Ensure you take only premium quality natural supplements with proven ingredients such as Tribulus Terrestris, fenugreek seeds, horny goat weed, Tongkat Ali and Shilajit to boost testosterone naturally.
The Dosage of Testosterone Boosters
Different testosterone boosters contain different formulations. Hence the dosage based on the formula or ingredient potency also tends to vary from others. Every booster supplement provides the respective dosage and clear instructions on the serving size, when or how to consume on the product label for easy reference. Generally, the recommended dosage for herbal ingredients is based on scientific studies and established clinical trials, whereas for vitamins, amino acids or minerals the dosage is as per permitted daily allowances.
Though stacking multiple supplements can be beneficial, one should exercise caution and watch out for overdose of either the natural ingredients or the added nutrients which can lead to adverse effects. For example, fenugreek can boost testosterone levels and regulate blood sugar levels effectively too. Now, if you are a diabetic using prescribed medications or if you are taking a supplement to control your blood sugar, then stacking both the supplements or combining the fenugreek booster with your medication is not a good idea, as it can result in very low blood sugar levels that can be disastrous.
Product labels and warnings should be taken seriously to avoid possible interactions with medications. Seeking a doctor’s advice before using any supplement is the best way to avoid instances of allergy or medical reactions with dire consequences.
Side Effects and Risks of Using Testosterone Boosters
Testosterone boosters can be effective and safe when taken in recommended doses though it may not work out in the same manner for all individuals. There is always a likelihood of risks one can experience while using a booster.
In natural boosters, it is not the added vitamins, minerals or amino acids but the active ingredients which can cause adverse reactions in some individuals. Herbal ingredients such as Ginkgo Biloba, horny goat weed, etc. can cause common reactions. Nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea, palpitations, headaches, rashes on the skin are some of the side-effects one can likely experience. These symptoms are generally temporary and settle down as the body gets accustomed to the supplement. But if an individual is allergic to a particular ingredient and rigorous reactions manifest themselves then one should immediately discontinue the use of that supplement and look for alternatives.
It would be wrong to assume that if a supplement is found suitable, then it is okay to keep consuming it for long periods. Testosterone supplements are usually intended for short-term use and using one for long periods can lead to an overdose of testosterone in the body. Overdose can cause symptoms such as extreme irritability or bouts of violent behavior. Hence caution should be exercised and boosters should be taken preferably under a doctor’s guidance and care.
The Bottom Line
A natural testosterone booster can provide multiple health benefits to men, especially over 30 years of age, who lead an inactive lifestyle and have a sedentary office job involving long sitting hours.
Incorporating a strong, balanced diet along with vitamin D, zinc and magnesium increases testosterone production. Frequent workouts and getting enough sleep promotes a sustained increase in testosterone levels. Natural ingredients such as Tribulus Terrestris, Mucuna Pruriens, Shilajit, fenugreek, and horny goat weed play a pivotal role in boosting testosterone levels.
Making healthy lifestyle changes such as a nutritious diet, regular physical activity, minimizing stress along with a good testosterone booster will provide faster and effective results in balancing and sustaining your testosterone levels satisfactorily.
As an ex-personal trainer, science graduate, best-selling author, and freelance writer, Philip has helped educate millions of curious people around the world about science-based health, nutrition, and fitness.